On May 23rd, 1986 the Cape Lookout National Seashore was designated a North Carolina Natural Heritage Area.
On May 22nd, 1787 the schooner Nancy left the port of Beaufort under Captain Solomon Fuller with a cargo of whale oil destined for Baltimore, Maryland.
On May 20th, 1861 North Carolina joined the Confederacy. Orders were issued for lenses to be removed from coastal lighthouses, including the Cape Lookout Lighthouse. This was done in order to impair Union navigation.
On May 18th, 1985 the new North Carolina Maritime Museum opened on Front Street. Prior to the move from Turner Street the Museum was known as the Hampton Mariners Museum in honor of Roy Wade Hampton of Plymouth, North Carolina, Chairman of the N.C. Department of Conservation and Development.
On May 17th, 1876 the Beaufort Eagle newspaper reported that a large right whale was taken at Cape Lookout. The whale was reported to be 72 ft long. It’s bone and oil sold for $1664. This may have been a whale caught by the Cornell crew of Harkers Island.
On May 16th 1925 George R. Little Jr., who was 13 years old at the time, rescued two friends from the Pasquotank River. He was later awarded the Silver Lifesaving Medal on July 31st, 1925.
On May 15th, 1886 Captain John N. Maffitt died at Wilmington.
On May 14th, 1921 the fishing schooner Louise Howard stranded on the bar entrance to Beaufort Harbor during a strong gale. The ship was about 5 miles south of the Fort Macon Coast Guard Station. The Louise Howard’s home port was New York. She was in North Carolina waters engaging in shark fishing and carried nearly a ton of dynamite on board.
On May 1st, 1799 the Herald of Freedom, a newspaper published in Edenton, NC, reported that the ship Roanoke, Capt. Ebenezer Paine, from Cadiz, Spain laden with brandy, wine, and fruit, struck on the bar at Occacock (Ocracoke) and went to pieces.
On April 30th, 1818 the steamboat Henrietta launched on the Cape Fear River in Cumberland County .